Re: Year? and wheel cylinder woes

To: Keith Burns <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Year? and wheel cylinder woes
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:24:25 -0700
Keith,
When you checked the adjuster, did you check to see if the pistons were
moving freely or that the adjuster screw was backed out.  I have noticed
that many times corrosion prevents the pistons from going back into the
housing when the screw is backed off.  If this is the case here it would
explain the problem.  To remedy the problem, disassemble the adjuster
and thoroughly clean it and reassemble.  The pistons should travel
easily in both directions.

If that is not the problem, since yours is a very early MkIV, it could
be that Triumph actually used wheel cylinders left over from Mk3's until
they were used up and then converted to the new ones that are reported
to be on all MkIV's.  But I'm not sure what differences there are
between the cylinders.

Good Luck,
Joe

Keith Burns wrote:

> Hi,
> Two problems maybe related.
> Ordered wheel cylinders for my 71 Mk IV.
> The replacements looked similiar, but the piston is wider. So I
> install them and can not get the brake drums on. Checked the adjuster,
> the brake lining orientation and compare the new brake pads with the
> old. Then I notice that the old wheel cylinder when fully compressed
> is about an 1/8 of an inch (maybe  3 milimeters)shorter then the new.
> Ah ha! So that is why the brake drums won't go on.
> Check a catalogue and notice that the wheel cylinders for spitfires
> change in 71 and again in 75. Also notice that the brake pads,
> adjusters, and drums all seem to be the same for all years So if they
> only change the cylinders how come mine don't fit?
> Sooooo what is my problem?
> WHat year is my car really? On the frame their is a production date of
> October 70. Is my car really a 70?
> Also how can I make these cylinders work since I installed them I
> can't return them? Can I just grind 1/16 of an inch off of the flatt
> contact point on the brake pads?
> Is their something I am missing as to why this is not going together?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks all,
> Keith
> With a spitfire who's year is currently a mystery

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer