Electrical problems Still!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical problems Still!
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:03:06
OK everyone, I have fought with this electrical problem long enough.  Last
night a pulled the main harness all the way out of the car (it is a mess)
I am straighting it up, though.  Here is what I have found.  White wire
with pink tracer (my understanding is the Radio wire) shorted, boy was it
shorted!  this wire was burned the whole way through and I would judge
definately the cause of my first problem.  Between the key and the fuse bos
is a white wire that has two or three bundled togethor (looks like an it
came from the factory this way ((kinda like an appliance plug))  This is
mildly melted - enough to need replaced. Now I think I found the cause of
my second problem (the screwy gauges and fan mystery) next to the starter
solenoid there is a Pink wire with white tracer connected with a white wire
that apparently used to attach to the solenoid (non original solenoid)  I
attached it to my electric choke to supply power to that while the car was
on, could this be the cause of my problems?  and what is this wire?  Sorry
for the length.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire - daily driver
'79 Spitfire - soon to be daily driver