Wobbly rear wheel

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wobbly rear wheel
From: Ian.Wiik@hydro.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:43:32 +0100

Hi all!

My rear wheel has been wobbling all since I bought my car. This winter I
changed the axle complete with vertical link and all. Well, all I can say
is that the wheel still wobbles... According to the axle's previous owner
(who has by the way installed a narroved Jaguar XJS rear end) everything
was OK when he took it off his car.

Is it possible that the problem is the differential flange? I have two
axles from a 1500 that I plan to use (wider track at the rear), but I
really want to solve this first! Can anybody help me with some advice?

I am also wondering what the correct length (when compressed) for a rear
damper on a 65 Spit is, I have discovered why my Spit is so tall in the
rear... I think I must have been running on the rubber stoppers in the
dampers for 2 years! I always wondered about how stiff the rear suspension
was...

Ian Wiik
Norway
65 Spitfire Mk2 (Just out for the summer!)
81 Porsche 928S (Still has winter tyres...)