Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing - Followup

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Cleaner Bolt Shearing - Followup
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:45:05 EDT
It's been 10 days and several hundred miles since the last
bolt shear and I am beginning to hope that the problem has been
solved or at least minimized.  I would like to thank all that
responded with suggestions, unfortuneatly I've again
demonstrated my e-mail competence by allowing the replies to
delete from my "old mail" basket so I can't identify you by
name, but thanks to "You know who you are"!

The suggestions were as follows:

Bonnet making contact with air cleaner
  -check engine mounts
  -check for contact by putting grease/paint/clay on air
    cleaner and looking for transfer to bonnet
  -check for contact by looking for scrapes or dimples on
    bonnet
Bolts overtorqued
Heli coil threads and go back to $14 OEM bolt and rubber washer
Manufacture own shoulder bolt for less than $14
Check that bolts are not too long and bottoming on carb

What I did was:

Verified no bonnet contact with the ol' grease trick.  The
  engine mounts were replaced last year and look good.
Got the best damn stainless steel bolt that $1.45 would buy
  at Ye Olde Hardware Store.
Bought a shorter bolt.  The previous bolts were purposely extra
  long so that when they sheared, I could grip them from the back
  and remove them without an extractor (which I don't have).
  I noticed that they tended to shear at the point where the
  threads ended.  I figured a shorter bolt would move that
  point further in. Why this would be relevant is beyond me,
  but I was desperate.
Put a rubber washer on the bolt to minimize vibration transfer.
Carefully avoided my "if tight is good, tighter is better"
  tendencies.

Again thanks to all. Sorry if I missed anyone.

-Greg

78 Spit - daily driver
72 Spit - NOT a parts car...