Re: Wobbly rear wheel

To: richard.jackson@northampton.ac.uk, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wobbly rear wheel
From: Ian.Wiik@hydro.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:29:31 +0100

Hmmm... I think I know the solution! My suspension extension stops when the
axles hit the chassis! This may have bent my original axle, that's for
certain... It should not, however, have affected the second axle i fitted
this winter, which was bent even though I didn't drive the car.I am sure
that the wheel is straight, I have switched many times.

Well, my 1500 axles are certainly straight, they have never been used! My
only problem is that I need longer radius arms to fit them...(plus the
problem of pulling the hubs of course, -I have done this once before and it
was NOT pleasant. My poor Spitty almost fell off the jack, but as an
impulse I just put my knee under the wheelarch and held it... Thank god I
drive a Spit and not a van!) Do you think it is possible to shim the
raadius arms the extra length needed for the 1500 axles?

Ian

> Is it possible that the problem is the differential flange?

I can't see that this would cause the problem!  It could possibly be a
warped
wheel!

> I have two
> axles from a 1500 that I plan to use (wider track at the rear), but I
> really want to solve this first! Can anybody help me with some advice?

Or....more likely a bent shaft, I've seen this a few times, jack the car
up(securely), remove the wheel and start the engine, put it in first and
then
go and watch the end of the shaft, it will probably rotate in a circular
pattern indicating the shaft is bent.  Also, if you watch the upright then
this will probably be moving about a bit too!!

> I am also wondering what the correct length (when compressed) for a rear
> damper on a 65 Spit is, I have discovered why my Spit is so tall in the
> rear... I think I must have been running on the rubber stoppers in the
> dampers for 2 years! I always wondered about how stiff the rear
suspension
> was...

Can't help with the damper, although I once had the opposite problem with a
Herald where the previous owner had fitted dampers that were too long when
fully extended which caused them to hit the chassis rails when ever the car
rode up on it's suspension!!! painful!!! :-)

Cheerio

Rich