Exhaust problem: Wrath of the Spitfire

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust problem: Wrath of the Spitfire
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:49:10 -0400
I'm starting to refer to my spitfire as "the Hydra". I chop off one of the
heads of misfortune and two more rear their ugly heads.

I just had the exhaust pipe and muffler replaced about a year and a half
ago (Jan of '98) when it "blew-out" through a rusty section of the
pipe. This time, I've blown a nice 2" daim. hole at one of the spot welding
points that was holding the "pre-heater" flange on the replacement pipe.

I'm going to temporarily try using an epoxy putty over the hole to temporarily
reduce the noise. But I was wondering if the members of the list had a
suggestion for a good replacement.

I've considered putting headers on the spitfire, but I've heard that the
Pacesetter headers that VB sells need to be "modified" to be installed on a
1500 engine.

Any suggestions (with an estimate of what it will cost me) would be greatly
appreciated.

And incase you're wondering, the second misfortune was that someone stole
the speakers out of the car last night. (for some odd reason they left
the 20 year old 5watt radio. Imagine that.)

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spitfire
Maryland

P.S. Anyone else have a credit card set aside JUST for Spitfire expenses or
is it just me?