Re: My Spitfire needs your help!! (fwd) > Spit idle poorly

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>,
Subject: Re: My Spitfire needs your help!! (fwd) > Spit idle poorly
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:01:26 -0700
Hmmmm,

Cloud of black smoke, idling for a long time, SU carbs
Simple - The car is running too rich!
With regard to tuning, _every_ shop manual indicates that in order to adjust
the mixture correctly, about every two minutes, you must clear the plugs by
reving to 2500 - 3000 rpm for 10-30 seconds.
Personally, I've never had to take more than a couple of minutes to adjust
them. If it is running this bad, it must be very rich!
Follow the instructions in the shop manual closely. Lift the piston with the
pin or a thin screwdriver by 1/32 inch
(1mm) and the idle should remain the same. Speed up - Rich // Slow down -
Weak // Stalls Too far out of adjustment to check this way.
And why do you want to sell your spitfire anyway? I've always regretted
selling one of mine!

Wayne