Spit Fiberglass Body Panels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Fiberglass Body Panels
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:13:05 -0400
I've asked the question if anyone knew of a place that might carry
fiberglass body panels for the spitfire. The most common response was
"They're not road-worthy for daily driving, get a spare parts car."

I don't have anything against steel, but anything that can lighten the
load on my little 57bhp engine with fading compression, I'm all for.
(Let's see...fiberglass body panels or stop eating donuts and lose weight.
I think I'll stick with the fiberglass).

Also, I've looked at 7 parts cars this summer, all of which had bonnets
in worse shape than the cracking bondo'd piece o'crap on my car. And
though the most recent VB catalog I've been looking through has a
reproduction bonnet for the wallet gauging price of $1300, I think I'll
find another option. (he says as the moths escape from his bill fold)

So, during a exhaustive search on the web on a bored Saturday afternoon,
I found a place that sells road-worthy spitfire and gt6 body panels (or
so they claim), for around $640.

For anyone that is interested, the company website is:
http://www.performancefiberglass.com/

for their price list:
http://www.performancefiberglass.com/prices.htm

The prices listed are for the "racing" body panels, but I'm told that
the panels can be made more durable for street use for an added cost of
about 10% above the list price. (One less thing to rust!)

Happy motoring
Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland