Re: finaly got my Spit, Stromberg carb question

To: gfaber <gfaber@fast.net>, Spit-LIST <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: finaly got my Spit, Stromberg carb question
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:51:24 -0400
At 07:26 PM 08/05/1999 -0400, gfaber enthused:

>Hello to all the List
>After a a good 20 years later Im proud  again to be a spit owner,

>well enough of the rambling,  this car has a single stromberg carb, its
>running super rich, lots of carbon  on the back of the car around the
>exhaust

>Im used to the SU's  I see I need a special tool for adjusting the
>Stromberg, looks like a allen wrench with a sleeve and a key on it.  Is
>it possible to adjust
>it using just an allen wrench or am I taking a chance damaging to
>diaphragm?

Yes you _are_ taking a chance, however you could make the restraining part
of the tool with a sleeve or tube.  Just cut or file a little protrusion to
fit on the slot of the needle tube.

I would suggest buying the Haynes Weber book (covers SUs and the Stromberg
as well), it's wonderful.

Before you get into rebuilding that Stromberg, though, remove the air
piston/needle and look closely at the jet hole.  If the spring-loaded
needle has worn it egg-shaped you'll be needing a different carb since the
jet is not replaceable. And, if the car still has a Cat, it's surely shot
from the rich operation.

And hey, some of us LIKE the rubber bumpers!  A MUCH nicer job was done on
those than say, on an MG.  You can refinish them for a fraction of what it
costs to rechrome the early bumpers.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (big beautiful black bumpers)
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Man who eat many prunes get good run for money." - Chinese Proverb