Re: Valve Adjustment

To: <Trspit1500@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:54:23 +0100

>Ok guys I have a question.  Everyone said to adjust the valves to .010, but
>Ted Schmucher said not to do this, he said .012.  I did them to that and it
>is very noisy.  Is there any reason for this Ted.  Any info would be
>appreciated.  I am going back to .010 tomorrow morning.

Casting my mind back down the years, we rarely adjusted valves to 10 thou
cold. Simply it made the engines too quiet. On both the four and six pot
units .011 or .012 was the norm - no matter what Engineering had to say.
Okay, it makes things a bit clattery on start-up but the logic was that it
was better to hear them than not hear them. Equally, have you taken the car
for a run on a 12 thou setting and let it thoroughly warm through? The
simple effects of very marginal expansion, will help to quieten things down.
Also, are you satisfied the bushes on the rocker arms aren't showing signs
of wear or the rocker shaft is not worn. My 2500 injection engine sounds
like fire irons going down a metal staircase when its cold but after three
or four miles its FAR quieter - but I can still hear them, just. Maybe it's
just me, but all the versions I drove years ago with 'loose' settings seemed
to have that little bit more urge. Set at 10 thou, they seemed strangled.

Jonmac