Re: Valve Adjustment

To: "Ted Schumacher" <tedtsimx@q1.net>, <Trspit1500@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:19:33 +0100
It also makes a difference with how well you set the clearences.  I have
found that it took a lot of practice to get the tapets all sounding the
same.  I use a click adjust, and a feeler gadge.  Set the gadge for slightly
wider than spec, (I am using unleaded on 4* head, (4k miles of HARD driving
no recession)) and I go around the valves, forceing the rocker up to get the
maximum distance, while putting no pressure on the valve.  This makes up for
my badly warn shaft, that I hope to replace in the next month or so.

Anyway, it's posible to convince a warn rocker shaft to be quite on startup
but it dosent last.  Where as setting it slightly wider dosent get any
worse.

James