Re: Front end shake

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front end shake
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:20:17 -0400
At 10:02 AM 08/08/1999 -0400, Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

>I am still trying to figure out what is causing my front end shake on
>Freddy. [...] The shaking starts out as a slow side to side
>feeling at 45-50 and increases in frequency as I go faster, other than it
>usually smooths right out around 65, then gets worse again at 70+.
>

>Any thoughts?? Do they all do this??

No they don't.   Mine doesn't. Nice & smooth up to 85.

Offhand I'd look in two areas, assuming that what you have checked in the
front end is OK.

1.  Drivetrain/ driveshaft out of balance?   Or bad u-joints?

2. Rotor-induced imbalance?   Have you checked for runout on the front
calipers? Should be less than .015". If you had a siezed caliper that might
make the problem noticable whether the brakes are applied or not.   (just a
theory)

Good luck, Kevin.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire

"Man who stand on toilet is high on pot." -- Chinese Proverb