Re: Carbs and emissions

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbs and emissions
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:07:18 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Simmons, Reid W <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
To: spitfires@autox.team.net <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, August 12, 1999 3:16 PM
Subject: Carbs and emissions

>Question 1:  Has anyone replaced the ZS carbs on their late model ('78 -
>'80) Spitfire with Webers or SUs and passed an emissions test?

Weber DGV or DGAV will work - Provided you don't alter the ignition and
timing.
MGB (!Ugh) SU-HIF's used on later models _may_ work but I wouldn't guarantee
it.
SU-HS2's give good idle numbers, but restrict airflow on the 1500 (1 1/4")
SU-HS4's give poor idle numbers, but the car runs well.
Personally, I'd stick with a good ZS. If you want more power, look
elsewhere.

>Question 2:  Has anyone also replaced the cast iron exhaust manifold with
>tubular headers, incorporated the EGR valve and catalytic converter and
>passed an emissions test?  I am thinking about designing and building a set
>of headers to do just that (unless there are some already out there).

Yes. As long as the catalytic converter you use works efficiently the header
will work.
And the EGR is necessary. If you redirect the air pump output to the new(er)
style ford
Escort cat it will work fine.  This does most of the work anyway. These
headers are available
through Triumphtune (Moss Europe) VB and a number of other places. The EGR
hole can be
welded onto any good header by any competent muffler shop. Just use the
Middle (2-3) set.

>By "emissions test" I mean the factory published emissions spec for that
>model year.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Reid
>'79 Spitfire (original owner)
Warning - Keep all of the original parts though. some of the bits are
getting a bit scarce.

Congratulations to another long-time spitfire owner. Great cars aren't they!

Wayne
Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000