RE: Engine Temperature

To: "Spit-flyers" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Temperature
From: "David Stewart" <dstewar1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:36:30 -0400
Spitfliers,

The PO of my 1980 Spitfire informed me that it was "normal" for it to run at
3/4 on the temp gauge.  I find that it often creeps up beyond that,
especially with the hot summer we've had.  I'm contemplating flushing the
coolant to see if that helps.  The hygrometer says I've got max freezing
protection (the car's never driven in the winter, of course), but I think
the mixture is much greater than 50/50, and it appears a bit cloudy, albeit
very green.  Is there a reliable way to check coolant temp without leaving
the cap off and putting a cooking thermometer in there and letting it all
expand and run out while you do that?  And does anybody know the correlation
between degrees Fahrenheit and the marks on the temp gauge?

Dave