Re: Spitfire Camber Compensator

To: P Barber <patbarber@home.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Camber Compensator
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, but a race car and a street car are far different
animals:
1) The weight of the street car can vary depending on
the driver, passengers, luggage, etc. The weight of
the race car is pretty much the same, so the chain
device can be (and must be) adjusted to exactly match
the setup of the car.
2) The street car generally runs on a wider and
rougher variety of surfaces, pavement, sand, potholes,
etc.
3) The race car typically runs much stiffer springs
and shocks, a lot less ground clearance, a lot more
rear camber, and wider wheels and tires.
4) The race driver knows and expects the handling
limits and characteristics of the car, when the sudden
shock loading of one wheel reaching the chain's limit
causes the effective spring rate to jump from 200
lb/in to 20,000 lb/in.
5) The race car is subjected to continuous and
thorough inspection and maintenance every few hours of
use.
6) The race driver accepts that the ride will be very
rough, noisy, and uncomfortable, and that the tires
will be replaced every few hundred miles.

Just my opinion, after having lived with a street
Spitfire on the track, and a race Spitfire on the
street.