Spitfire Cylinder head numbers..?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Cylinder head numbers..?
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:01:07 EDT
I have an 8-port Spitfire cylinder head with the numbers 515573
stamped into the top side towards the manifolds over #3 cylinder.

Towards the #1 cylinder is cast Stanpart 5(?)6(?).871 and cast towards
cylinder #2 is L38

All numbers in a line basicly with the head studs along the exhaust/intake
port side of the engine.

Any significance?

Is there a guide to numbers so I can tell what head is what (I have more in
the loft).

It's not a smog-pump air injection head, no holes there.

There isn't a lot of extra thickness in the pushrod area between the head
surface and the "webbing" between the pushrod areas.  IE, If it were milled,
you'd get to this rough cast metal soon. The combustion chambers aren't very
deep as I think the 1500's are.

Is it a small valve Mk3 1296 head, a later large journal 1296 or an early
1500 large valve head...??

This is a test..... (not really, just want to know)!

I plan to build a slightly better than stock 1500 and possibly use this head,
but I want the bigger valves.

Thanks!
Clark