re: map light

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: map light
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:49:59 EDT
Hi Listers:  Regarding comments about map lights:
-----
I dont know if the previous owner did some rewiring or not. The map lite is
on non stop as long as the headlights are turned on. Is this normal? Or is
it supposed to be wired some other way. If I turn the knob for the
instrument lite dimmer it does not seem to have a détente that I can feel
which might suggest that it is supposed to control the map lite.
-----
my map light was on all the time also, until I discovered you had to
'fold' it up under the dash, and then it went off.  Only comes on when I
pull it out.
-----
I fought with the map light in my 77.  Per Bill M., I found that it did shut
off when folded up but, because of a little-known variable called "gravity",
the little beastie got saggy and never curled up enough to trip the internal
shut-off.  I decided to buy a $2.98US toggle switch and install it in the
metal brace that holds the dash panel on.  Careful when drilling, because (1)
the hold needs to be almost as wide as the brace and (2) the brace is 2
layers of metal so the thinner layer wants to curl & tear as you're drilling
thru the thicker one.  Result is a cool little switch that is almost
invisible and works like a charm.  Downside is that it's not stock for
Spitphiles who want to keep their Spits original.

BTW, I'm hoping to get to a boneyard that has a couple of Spits sometime next
week, so if I run across any map lights I'll pick them up and give the list a
holler.

Scott
(& Hobbs, 77 Spitfire, daily driver)