RE: Floor Pan Rust Removal

To: sarophes@yahoo.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Floor Pan Rust Removal
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:49:37 -0400
At 08:22 AM 08/26/1999 -0700, sarophes@yahoo.com wrote:

>   Thanks, everyone.  This POR product sounds pretty good (and easy to
>use), so unless somebody has something really bad to say about it, I'll
>give it a try.
>   I also have a few small holes rusted through the floor pan.  There
>are about 4 or 5 of them and they are tiny, less than a quarter inch
>across.  Is there a way to repair these that doesn't involve welding?
>    Hey, I said I was a newbie, didn't I?

Well Chris, you can use the POR 15 like a fiberglass resin for very small
holes such as you describe.   That's what I did.

Just brush a layer of POR 15 around the hole, lay down some glassfiber mat,
and brush over that to seal it.  It's stronger than the sheetmetal after it
dries.

PS, don't buy too much POR 15... soon as you open the bottle it starts to
harden (moisture is what 'cures' the epoxy) and the next time you go to use
it, it takes a nuclear blast to open the lid.

I buy the $10 starter kits and have found them to more than adequate for my
rustproofing projects.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ (only 15 miles from the POR 15 Headquarters!)