Re: Spitfire transmission with aluminum bellhousing

To: HD50EL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire transmission with aluminum bellhousing
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 HD50EL@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, I recently acquired an early model Spitfire transmission that has an
> aluminum bellhousing, and I was wondering if this was for racing, or just a
> standard production piece. Thanks,

Some sources state that this was "standard" fitment on early Spitfires.
I'm not too sure about that. However, it was "standard" fitment on the
Herald for the first few years (not counting the very early Herald
gearboxes, where the bellhousing was part of the whole gearbox case
casting). It's also a very nice weight savings over the later cast-iron
bellhousing. As I recall, it's something like 7 lb for the aluminum one
and a good 30 lb. + for the cast iron.

So likely more than a few Spitfire racers looked to add such a
bellhousing to their gearbox! (Keep meaning to do it on my own "Hardly
Boys RaceSpit 4"!)

--Andy