RE: Spitfire transmission with aluminum bellhousing

To: "'Carter Shore'" <clshore@yahoo.com>, Cwn74@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Spitfire transmission with aluminum bellhousing
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:32:18 +0100
The alloy bellhousing was fitted to late 948cc Heralds from mid 1960, and to
early 1200 Heralds until late 1962. They were fitted to very early Mk1
Spitfires only - I have seen no more than a handful on Spitfires here in the
UK (as an original fitment - I know of plenty which have been converted).
        Incidentally, the earliest Heralds had a one-piece cast alloy
gearbox housing with integral bellhousing. This was internally the same as
the 3-synchro 3-rail box. Has anyone considered one of these in a race
Spitfire? They are incredibly light, but I don't know if an overdrive
mainshaft can be fitted. I understand the early clutch is also necessary.
        Food for thought.....
                Bill Davies.