Door Adjustment on a 71 spit

To: "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door Adjustment on a 71 spit
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:45:46 -0600
I removed my doors during restoration and now face a real problem with
getting them to fit and close properly.
Does anyone have a nice trick for this?
I tried using cardboard folded underneath the door to get the spacing right
but I have a problem of not being able to get the hinges forward enough to
miss the upright on the windscreen.
I did a full floor pan replacement, but I did not remove the inner steel
piece or the inner rounded piece. I hope the dash and windscreen have not
sagged and caused the problem as I have welded the new sills and painted the
car. I can't see how the thing could have sagged any since it was never
loose from being a full unit. The tub has not been removed since I heard of
horror stories of people with rotten floors removing the tub and having this
same problem.
I did not match the hinges to the doors, i.e. top/right, bottom/right, when
I reassembled.
It seems that I have a bow in the tub ! But I didn't ever have the two as a
separate unit !
The hinges have some play but it doesn't look like it's enough to cause this
much non-alignment.

Any tips or ideas ?

Craig Smith
36 Pelham Ridge Drive