Standard or Spax/lowered ?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Standard or Spax/lowered ?
From: DWARE@uk.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:34:21 +0000

I've just performed a pre-MOT check on my 1500 (it's been in the garage for
months now - we moved house last year and it's an _old_ house :-( ) and in
doing so I noticed one of the front springs has actually snapped near the
top so I've effectively lost half a coil.

Anyway, my question is what would you recommend as a replacement? I'll take
this opportunity to replace both springs and dampers at the front and I
wandering if I should fork out a bit more and go for something like Spax ?
On reading my Moss performance manual they also recommend uprated and
slightly (about .75 inch) lowered springs. What about bushes, uprate these
as well ?

I'm not looking for a street racer, I may possibly go as far as fitting a
semi-sports exhaust and some K&Ns someday but that's probably it, so major
modifications to the suspension are not needed. I just want it to be fun.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but I can't remember how
to search the archives (can someone help?) so I apologise in advance.

Thanks,

David Ware
1977 1500 Spitfire (UK)