RE: repair or restore?

To: "'Bernhard Rauner'" <Bernhard.Rauner@noegkk.sozvers.at>,
Subject: RE: repair or restore?
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:30:11 -0500
Bernhard, If the car is running exceptionally wellI would question your need
to restore it.  But let me give you some insight.  The biggest reason to
restore an apparently good car would be to eliminate and cut short damage
that is happening behind the scenes, specifically tin worm (rust for the lay
person).  If you have a few spots, these can typically be handled on the
frame during a winter break.  My car began as an engine rebuild and turned
into a complete frame off resto (I found considerable rust damage in the
floor boards).  If you take on a frame off restoration plan on it taking at
least a year.

I rebuilt my car to save it for the future, knowing that the little damage
there would expand greatly as time went on.  A lot depends on you, your time
and money.  It also depends on your drive and desire.  Alot of cars that
start a restoration never come out.

YMMV
Patrick Bowen