Re: Door gap

To: WyzeGuy555@aol.com, kenwc@pacbell.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Door gap
From: "dayton carpenter" <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 02:36:46 PDT
I think trying some less aggressive approaches are in line if you have not
already done so.  First before having the vehicle painted did you do your
fit and finish homework?  Did the panels align beforehand?  Where the panels
painted on the car?  Of the 16 odd Spitfires I have owned the fit and finish
is terrible.  Most of the time you can throw a cat through the gaps in the
panels.  I don't think any trimming of the panels is necessary.  I have had
to weld welding rod to the door in the past to get the proper fit and finish
but never the opposite.

If the doors were painted on the car it may take substantial effort to
loosen them since they are now painted in. Also now you will chip the paint.
  Have a friend help you. Loosen the hinge bolts on the body side.  Work
them hard to loosen them up. Most the adjustment lies here.  Loosening the
bolts on the door side won't help much.  Also is the bonnet aligned properly
or does it need to be moved forward?

Also try swapping hinges.  Were the hinges removed from the door when you
painted them?  If so did you mark them for R/I?

Hope this helps.