Re: Ignition Problems

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu>
Subject: Re: Ignition Problems
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:04:01 -0400
Paul,

Check the points (inside the distributor). Since you get one spark when you
turn it off, your coil is most likely OK. Most likely you points are fused
together so they don't open.
Turn you ignition on, check the voltage at the coil terminal leading to the
distributor (thin wire), it should be either 0V or somewhere around 9-12V. Turn
the engine by hand - does the voltage change? If it changes the points are OK.
If it stays at 0V, check the voltage at the other ignition terminal - it should
be somewhere around 9-12V. If you detect voltage, pull off the wire going to
the distributor, check at the terminal you just pulled the wire off. If you
have voltage there, your coil is OK you need new points.
If you have power at one terminal but not the other with the distributor
terminal (thin wire) disconnected, your coil is fried.
Stupid question: when you replaced the cap, did you take of the rotor? If so,
did you install it again?

Marcus

>>> Paul Grafelman <pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu> 4/3/00 17:48:11 >>>

I am having a no-start problem, and I think it is ignition related. I
replaced the cap and rotor today, but had no luck. I checked for spark by
removing a plug and grounding it (with wire attached) to see if it sparked,
but it did not. This makes me suspect the coil, I tried a similar test with
the wire from the coil to the distributor, and still no spark. However,
with the connector for this wire *almost* grounded, when I turn the key to
and from "on" I get a very quick spark. I am not very familiar with the
ignition system, so I am very lost and frustrated today. If I end up
replacing the coil, what do you recommend? Should I just go ahead and
convert to an MSD type?

Paul Grafelman