Ignition Problems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Problems
From: Paul Grafelman <pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 16:48:11 -0500
I am having a no-start problem, and I think it is ignition related. I
replaced the cap and rotor today, but had no luck. I checked for spark by
removing a plug and grounding it (with wire attached) to see if it sparked,
but it did not. This makes me suspect the coil, I tried a similar test with
the wire from the coil to the distributor, and still no spark. However,
with the connector for this wire *almost* grounded, when I turn the key to
and from "on" I get a very quick spark. I am not very familiar with the
ignition system, so I am very lost and frustrated today. If I end up
replacing the coil, what do you recommend? Should I just go ahead and
convert to an MSD type?

Paul Grafelman