timing - again ...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing - again ...
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:44:42 -0400
Hi,

a couple of days ago, I inquired about the correct timing for my '76 1500
(federal, but all emissions equipment removed). I received a number of replies
all saying it should be set to 2 ATDC. But after having driven the car with
this timing setting I have a number questions:

1. what would be the correct setting for a NOT-emissions controlled 1500?

2. where can I find total advance curves for the 1500? Does anyone know total
advance at say 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm, 3000 rpm, 4000 rpm?

3. does anyone know the amount of vacuum I should have for a certain amount of
spark advance?

4. What kind of distributor should I have? Currently, a single vacuum (I
believe advance) distributor is installed.

The reason I am asking is that the car ran better with my way off timing (so
much advanced, it was off the scale at 1000 rpm). If I set the timing by ear,
where is the ideal point? Is it where idle is the fastest or where it is
slowest yet stable?

Marcus