Re-flaring lines-

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re-flaring lines-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:02:48 -0700
I've heard many references to re-flaring brake lines and have always been a
little puzzled.  I have tried to re-flare the typical steel 3/16 O/D brake
lines and with the flaring tool I have, and I have never been able to do a
decent single flare, never mind a double.  I could see possibly 1/4 inch or
bigger fuel lines but the wall thickness of these small brake lines, plus
their small dia make it virtually impossible with the flaring tool I have.
I end up just pushing the tubing through the clamp.  Now maybe it's the
tool.    The one I have is like two bars, with various sized holes, that
have groves supposedly to hold the tubing, for various size tubing, with
what looks like a a battery terminal clamp remover to make the flares.  As
I mentioned this doesn't work on brakes and I gave up trying.  I would
truly love to make my own, but haven't really seen anything that will
successfully make the double flare necessary for brake lines.
What tool do those of you who've actually done this use, and was the flare
every bit as good as the factory one?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)