Smog pipe

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog pipe
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:06:56 -0400
Got a question for you all.  I have a 77 1500 Spit. with all the smog
stuff on it.  I have a new smog pump, but the metal tube that goes from
the smog pump via the check valve to the exhaust manifold is shot.  I've
looked in TRF and VB cats. and neigher lists the tube.  So I went out today
to try and have one made.

The company said they could make it, but, the needed to know how the tube
was held into the manifold.  I mentioned that I though maybe a ferrel, but
the clerk at the shop said he didn't think so, that the end of the fitting
that screws into the manifold didn't look like it was designed for a ferrel.

So I guess my questions are:

1. How is the tube held inplace at the manifold end?
2. If it is held in place with a ferrel, is it simply a copper or steel
   ferrel?
3. Anybody found a source for the fitting that screws into the manifold?  It
   is a very fine thread, and the tubing shop said they didn't have anything
   like that.

In case anyone is interested, I looked up tubing bending in the yellow pages
to find this company.  They said, that they could make the pipe up for about
$40, give or take.

TIA

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan