Warm temps and other fanciful stuff

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Warm temps and other fanciful stuff
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:42:09 -0700
I received some great feedback and suggestions for tracking down a warm idle
problem several days ago.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I popped the
bonnet while the car was idling and checked the reservoir bottle.  No fluid.
Then, placing a rag over the top of the radiator cap, I slowly loosened it
and heard a "swoosh" which seems to indicate that the cap is working
properly, providing the right pressure.  It then occured to me that when I
filled the radiator recently, I just used a straight antifreeze mixture,
which probably isn't right.  I could see no fluid near the top of the
radiator, so I added water until I could see the flow at the top.  The
radiator is nearly brand new and it appears to be functioning properly.
Adding a bit of water to the radiator seemed to help some.  The needle goes
just above the center at idle now, which seems about right, considering that
there is no electric fan kicking in to help cool things down.  A future
project, perhaps.

I still need to flush out the heater core though -- and see if I can get
some heat to work.  Is it as easy as it looks to remove the heater regulator
to clean it out?  It's a bit corroded and I'd like to clean it up a bit.  I
know this is going to sound stupid, but which way does the water flow
through the heater core?  Does it enter where the regulator is and exit on
the opposite side coming out of the firewall?  TIA

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Jeff's Classic '67 Spitfire Mk3 site