Strange gnashing clatters

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange gnashing clatters
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:46:17 -0700
I've noticed upon starting up my car that the front end of the engine seems
to be making quite a racket.  Sort of an intermittent clattering that seems
to dissipate somewhat (but not entirely) when the engine is warm.  I can't
figure out whether it's the timing chain or the water pump.  In my old
Spitfire Mk3 manual, there was a lubrication point on the water pump
somewhere, but mine doesn't seem to have it.  Is this a pretty typical noise
to be coming from the engine?  Or do I have a timing chain or water pump
about to blow?

Just out of curiosity, what happens when the timing chain goes?  The engine
ubruptly quits?  Can a busted timing chain cause other serious damage while
it's on the way out?

TIA

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego