Doors & windscreen washer

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Doors & windscreen washer
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:16:06 +0200
Wise ones

On Mon 4/3/00 3:05 PM ,  I enquired :
Could anyone please tell me whether the windscreen washer bottle , jets ,
pump and knob that were used ( optional ) on the TR 3 are the same as those
used on early ( Mk 1 & Mk 2 ) Spitfires , or is it something totally
different ?
Also , my 1956 TR 3 was supplied with the rare ? GT kit ie. hard top , boot
/ trunk handle and door handles . Unfortunately the DPO replaced the doors
with " normal " TR 3 doors without door handles . Are the door handles the
same as used on the TR 3 A or is there something special I need to convert
back to GT specification  ?

A very big thank you to Fred Thomas who kindly provided me with the
following information :
"FT"- the washer system for the T/R 2/3 was only for those years, nothing
is original except "Trafalgar", bottle, and dash push knob both say this.
"FT"- The door handles are the same for 3-3/B.
"FT"- the knob says =
Trafalgar
  push
screenwasher
this is in a circular pattern, the bottle looks the same (TuDor/Trafalgar)
"FT"- the bottle holder is a thin wire type setup,the knob looks like the
others, and it screws on.

Based on this information I went through my boxes of parts and found five
complete Tudor bottles , pumps with bezels & spacers & knobs as well as
bottle holders .These seem to be for the Spitfire / Herald / GT 6 / TR 4 .
The bottle holders are only correct for the Spitfire , Herald , GT 6 and not
for the TR 4 / 4A ( it's just the ring without the L-shaped foot piece as
shown in the Moss catalogue for use with TR 3 . TR 4 bracket appears to be
thin wire according to Moss catalogue ) .

I also found a complete Trafalgar bottle , cap and pump in fair condition .
Unfortunately no bezel and push knob . The bottle is yellowed white plastic
with the words Trafalgar in raised letters ( scroll / script ) on it .
Underneath Trafalgar is written in raised capital letters :
    PRODUCT
  MANUFACTURED BY
JOHN SYDNEY LIMITED

Above the T of Trafalgar appears an A .

The pump is a round silver metallic object with black plastic at the back .
Trafalgar is in raised capital letters on the top part with two nozzles
protruding out underneath it .  Under these nozzles / spouts appear in
raised letters and in a circular pattern : JOHN SYDNEY LTD .

Do these sound correct for my TR 3 and where should the pump and bottle be
mounted ? Pump on dash and bottle on left front fender I guess , but if so ,
how far from what etc. ? I would like it to be original , so I need exact
locations please .
Is the bezel the same as the others ( used on a TR 3 dash )or does it look
different ?

I should be able to manufacture a correct looking bottle holder / bracket
from the ones I have and if I can't obtain the correct push knob , I will
attempt to make one from black plastic and white paint ( thin brush ) for
the letters . The bezel might be a problem . I need about four as a few on
my dash are non-original . :-)

The TR 3 windshield washer jets as illustrated on page 74 ( item 34 a ) of
the Moss catalogue appear to be the same as those used on Heralds . If it is
the same , I have two which I can remove from my Herald 12/50 and use on my
TR 3 . If it's not the same , well the search will continue .

BTW what is a fair price to pay for the TR 3 door handles or are they a dime
a dozen ? :-)

Thanks again for all the help oh Wise Ones .

Kind regards .

Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
One 1956 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.