RE: Strange gnashing clatters/Timing chain

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Strange gnashing clatters/Timing chain
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:28:43 +0100

Fortunately, never had a timing chain break on me.

The problems are caused by the pistons making contact with valves which are open
at point in the engine cycle when they'd normally be closed.

But I believe (and I'm ready to be shot down here if I'm wrong) that the valves
in a stock Spitfire, when open, don't move far enough into the cylinder to make
contact with the piston, even at TDC.  Like I said, no experience, and I
certainly wouldn't suggest that anyone try this to find out, but if anyone knows
one way or the other......  Of course, it could well be different depending on
the engine you have, too.

Dean