RE: Strange gnashing clatters/Timing chain

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Strange gnashing clatters/Timing chain
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:34:03 -0400
I have had two experiences with broken timing chains, each years apart.  Not
on a Spitfire, but on GM V8s.  I am going to assume the Spit engine would
behave similar, until someone here tells me otherwise (and I hope they do).
What happened to me was this...
Driving along, engine is running smoothly.  Then it just quits.  Just like I
shut it off.  It behaves like a complete electrical failure.  So naturally,
as I coast along, I try to restart it.  Mistake.  As I understand it, by
running the starter motor with a broken timing chain, the valves are out of
sync, so you end up bending the valves all to hell, causing big repair bill.
This was the end of my 1972 Cadillac Coupe De Ville, 472 cu.in.  I had to
choose between restoring the Spit or the Caddy.
So would the Spit behave the same way?

Terrence Banbury
Mk III