Replacement full sill/Rocker Panel - should it be like this????

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacement full sill/Rocker Panel - should it be like this????
From: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@comsavings.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:44:55 -0700
Just bought a rocker panel /Full sill for my 76 1500. The piece stretches
from the front wheel arch, under the drivers' door, to just before the end
of the drivers' door. It looks good except: at the part where the front,
bottom end of the door fits to the replacement piece. In that corner, the
replacement piece has no curved flange. In that corner, there is no
additional metal or flange that could not normally be seen if the door was
shut. If you look at the link to Rimmer Bros below, at "A post lower, 706288
and 706289", there is a lip on that piece that goes down vertically, and
marries to what I think should be there on my piece, which is further metal
in that corner that angles inward from the vertical outside part, then a lip
that would be bent upward, to which this 706288 would be welded.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/catgifs/29ax.gif

I think I'm capable of welding on the panel itself, But I can't figure out
how I (or a body shop for that matter) would be able to finish this corner
without some very skilled fabrication. The part shown as "A post lower"
would leave a gap of about an inch if it were installed with the rocker
panel/sill that I've bought.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation that this is a duff part, and that
maybe I should try Vickie Brita or someone else.

Comments, thoughts? All will be gratefully received.

Nick Moseley
2  78 1500s, one that I'm about to bring our of winter hibernation, and the
other awaits a chassis swap.