Re: Bees in my bonnet

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Bees in my bonnet
From: "RALPH JANNELLI" <RALPH.JANNELLI@Prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:05:54 -0400
Here's another possibility -

Several years ago I had a strange noise from under to bonnet, but I never
could find anything wrong. Oh well, I guess I'll find out what it is when
something breaks. This went on for almost two years of nearly daily driving.
Then one day I had to run some errands for lunch. I hopped in the Spit and
off I went. About two miles down the road the engine just died. I coasted to
the side of the road and lifted the bonnet. Didn't see anything amiss at
first so I went to check the distributor. I went to on latch the cap and the
whole top of the distributor comes off in my hand!! The noise had been from
one of the centrifugal weights. It had popped out of its captured fitting
and was rubbing along the inside of the housing. It cut a line so smooth
that you would have thought I put it on a lathe and cut it.

Moral of the story - check the weights!!

Ralph Jannelli
Matthews, NC
'65 Spitfire MKII
'72 Spitfire MKIV