Re: Restoration in a hurry update, Again

To: Patrick Bowen <pabowen@mediaone.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restoration in a hurry update, Again
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 19:54:12 -0700 (PDT)
> So One Really big question.  In preparation of them
> coming over what should
> I have done on the engine to maximize time.

Your problems will be from small things, not the big
issues. (death of a thousand cuts, nickle-dimed to
death, etc. )

Try to mentally rehearse the whole operation, and try
to think of things you will need, especially those
that must be ordered ahead of time. These items spring
to mind:

Assembly lube?
Gaskets and sealer?
Bearing sizes vs. journal diameter (plastiguage)
Ring fitting (end gap).
Special tools/alternatives (ring compressor,
crankshaft nut socket/wrench, torque wrench, feeler
guages, timing light, dial indicator/degree wheel)
Thrust washer sizes vs crankshaft end float.
Disributor drive gear end float.
Timing gear shims.
oil pump clearances and relief valve (and spring).
Carb stuff.
Ignition stuff.
Coolant, oil, filter, fresh gasoline.

Is everything cleaned, and sealed? Do you have a clean
well lighted workspace? How will the assembled engine
be lowered into place?

If you have not already one so, find and bag all the
bolts and nuts needed for each subassembly; front
cover plate, rear cover plate, timing chain cover, oil
pan, flywheel (pilot bearing?), clutch pressure plate,
bell housing attachment, driveshaft flanges, water
pump, fuel pump, alt/gen/battery, motor mounts.

Put a label inside each baggie ( I cut up 3x5 cards ),
and keep them with the major bits. The large zip lock
freezer bags will hold the larger pieces.

Good luck, too bad I'm in Orlando instead of J'ville,
I'd be there! (free beer?)

You'll be fine.

Carter