Re:Shoddy Replacement Sill/shipping to Canada -Long - caution

To: "SpitList" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Shoddy Replacement Sill/shipping to Canada -Long - caution
From: "Nicholas S Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 23:40:43 -0700
1.)Happy ending:
I got a second opinion from another supplier.
Went to where I bought it, and took the offending part, along with an
original off a parts car (rusty, but it fit!)
The original supplier happily replaced it for another with the correct
dimensions, and apologized for my trouble. I didn't even tell them about
getting a second opinion before returning the part.
Alls well, except I just broke the tip off my second (expensive) spot weld
remover.
2.) Costs to Canadians of buying from USA
-the cost to ship the item
-tax (same whether bought in or out of Canada), based on the "declared"
value of the item. I recently bought a Quarter valence on ebay.  I paid
$43.00 US, but the vendor "declared" it at $100.00. (Probably to make me
feel that I got a "deal"). Consequently, I had to pay tax on C$140.00,
rather than on about C$60.00. I can't remember if was 6% or 13% (whether
Provincial tax was payable or not) but it irks that I paid 2.3 times the tax
than was necessary. (I'm not knocking the vendor, he didn't know, and I'm
still pleased with the quarter valence.)
-Customs broker. Even if duty is not payable, the paperwork has to be
completed and presented to customs. The big shippers use brokers who (I'm
told) charge $35.00 minimum, regardless of the value of the item. The postal
service only charges $5.00, but I gather that vendors don't want the hassle
of going down to the post office. (I'm grateful the vendor of my valence was
good enough to do that, thanks Mike if you're reading).

If there are Canadians on the list who've ordered from the States, I'm
interested if your experience is similar. How about from the UK?

Nick Moseley
76 Spit (guinea pig to beginner welder)
78 Spit (getting insured this week after winter hibernation, Yippee!!)
78 Spit (awaiting chassis swap)