RE: hood props

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: hood props
From: Michael_Bayrock@translink.bc.ca
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:47:05 -0700
[serves me right to not read the digests for a weekend]

I have seen gas shocks installed in place of the hood prop on a Spitfire. It
was in '96, and I wrote about it in the club newsletter.  In part, I
wrote...

>      Neatest trick - one Spitfire replaced the bonnet prop rod with a pair
>      of CRX hatchback struts.  It looked and worked like a hot d**n.  The
>      only problem the guy said was that he had to clean and lube the
struts
>      everytime he raised the bonnet. If the struts were closed with *any*
>      grit on them, the seals would be quickly destroyed.  (Still, this is
>      something I'll have to try).

This guy fabricated attachment points where the 1/4 valence brackets join
the frame and (I think) he used the original inner fender mounting points.

I do remember asking the guy how he chose what shocks he used - he is
friends with a local wrecking yard, so he went in one day and chose a dozen
or so pairs to experiment with.  He found the CRX struts were the right
size, and then went to Honda to purchase new ones.

If my car was running, I would have reversed engineered the whole shebang
myself, but it's not so I haven't - yet.

Michael