RE: Radios - and BC Licencing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, cplimey@home.com
Subject: RE: Radios - and BC Licencing
From: Michael_Bayrock@translink.bc.ca
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:30:19 -0700
Hi Philip (and anyone else who's interested)

If you haven't done so yet, give Ruth a call in ABC in Burnaby.  She's
worked in the industry longer than many of us have been alive, and what she
remembers is just amazing.  (what she doesn't remember isn't worth knowing).
My suspicion, though, is that radios were dealer options at that time, and
dealer options are not acceptable to the collector plate program...

For those of you who wonder why the gov't is interested in what radio your
car has, it's got to do with the special program they instituted for
'vehicles of collector status'.  Roughly, the rules are:
- must be more than 25 years old, or 15 years old and limited production
- must be your 2nd vehicle
- can be used for pleasure purposes only (no to/from work travel allowed)
- must be bone stock as it came from the factory
- must be in very good condition.

The bonus of fitting into these rules are:
- annual insurance rate of $250 vs. $1000+ for 'regular' vehicles
- permanent exemption from the local 'AirCare' emission control testing

The bone stock means just that - no aftermarket wheels, interiors, roll
bars, radios, ... anything.  I'm sure that even a non-factory colour might
get you thrown out of the program. AND, the onus is on you to prove that the
items are or are not factory.

Only in Canada, you say?...

Michael
--------