Oil pressure, emissions, and hood props, (oh, my)

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure, emissions, and hood props, (oh, my)
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:46:37 -0500
Greetings, oh wise and experienced listers;

Time for me to pick the collective brain again.  The oil pressure on my '74
starts out at 80 psi at idle when cold.  As it warms up, the pressure slowly
drops to 50-55 at about 3500 rpm.  This drop happens over 10-15 miles,
depending on conditions.  During this time the pressure at idle is about 30
psi.   So far, so good.  After that distance, however, the pressure falls
through the floorpans - 10-15 psi at idle, about 35 at cruise.  I'm running
Castrol GTX 20W-50, with a filter from Spitbits.  The dipstick (no, not me)
shows full.  The classic diagnosis is excessive clearances in the bearings,
etc.  But in my 30 years of driving, I don't ever remember such a
precipitous drop in oil pressure.  Am I making this more complex than it
needs to be, or do I "just" rebuild the engine?

Next, does anyone have functional emissions parts out of a '74?  I'm trying
to get my 1FM numbered car as close to stock as possible.  I have the anti
run-on valve, but everything else is missing.

Third, does anyone know where I can get the proper color and gauge wire for
the body wiring harness?  Mine is shot, and I'm short of funds to buy a new
one.  But I can cut, strip, crimp, and solder with the best.  I need from
the dash to the tail lights, including the seatbelts.

Last, I've seen much about hood props lately.  I'm not looking for a
freebie, but if some wants to part with a good one reasonably, I'll buy it.

Thanks, in advance, to all.

Bill Gingerich
1974 Spitfire