Re: Spit not running

To: tlt@digex.net
Subject: Re: Spit not running
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:17:06 -0400
Hi, Terry.

I'd suggest first looking for a needle valve blocked open by debris.
Since the flooding started suddenly, it suggests a sudden failure of
some sort.  The other possibility that comes to mind is a broken fuel
pump spring, if you have a mechanical pump.  The broken spring will
cause the pump to deliver fuel at a higher pressure, but it won't be
able to deliver as much.  At idle or part load, it would still be able
to deliver sufficient fuel, but the excess pressure would force that
fuel past the needle valve and into the carb.

Hope this helps.
Donald.

> From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:13:47 -0400
>

> I'm at my wit's end over this...
>
> About 2 weeks ago, my car started to choke out and die. It eventually left
> me stranded, at 8:00 at night about 3 miles from home. I had it towed home,
> and after much fiddeling with the carbs and ignition, I found that the choke
> cable housing had split and pulling the choke did nothing. (It was running
> like a TOP the week before!)

     [snip]

> The other day I replaced the points, the plugs, the distributor cap, the
> starter motor (which I'd burnt out trying to get the car started for about 5
> hours). And then set the ZS carb to what my Haynes manual says is a good
> starting point (3 complete turns of the adjusting tool from it being flush
> with the bridge) And initially it ran...for almost 10 minutes!! During which
> time I was trying to use my new Gunson Exhaust analyzer to adjust the carb.
>
> I couldn't get the CO2 level anywhere near where the car is supposed to be.
> (8.9% was as close as I could get). I eventually wound-up flooding the
> engine (The spark plugs are wet with gasoline). After wiping them off and
> trying to start the car again....for four hours yesterday... Nothing. Not
> even a half-hearted combustion.
     [snip]