Re: steering rack and tie rod ends

To: pabowen@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: steering rack and tie rod ends
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:02:04 -0400
Hi, Patrick.

I just happened to be reading about reinstalling steering gear today.
Factory manual says to rotate pinion and count turns from end-to-end
while gear is out, then center the gear (by turning back half the
turns from one end.)  Set steering wheel to center position and
install gear, attach to steeering shaft.  At this point, the gear and
steering wheel are basically centered, so you can install the tie rod
ends and adjust them "by eye" to set the road wheels straight ahead,
then maybe use a string to set them approximately parallel to the
centerline of the vehicle.  This should be enough to get you to a shop
with real alignment equipment.

Donald.