beginner with questions

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: beginner with questions
From: Steve Caton <cates@trigger.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:11:02 -0400
Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a 1976 spitfire and this is my first attempt at a
restoration, so please excuse me if my questions appear stupid. I am not
the most mechanically sound person and I am learning as I go. I have a
couple of questions so here goes nothing...

1) I am in the process of stripping the car down to have some minor body
work done as well as a new paint job. In the process of reading one of
the restoration manuals I purchased it states, the body tub must not be
restored when off the chassis or it is highly unlikely that you will
ever be able to get it on again.Yet on some of the 1500 personal
restoration sites I viewed over the internet, the owners had separated
the body and chassis and reassembled without any problems (or at least
it looked problem free). I had planned to do this but now I am unsure
whether this is a good idea or not. The body is in pretty good shape
from what I can see with the exception of the driver side floor and the
battery box. Can anyone advise the proper course of action?

2) Secondly, I am interested in fitting my spit with the bonnet of a GT6
(I like the look). Is this possible and if so how difficult?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Caton
Oakville, Ontario