Electrical oddities

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical oddities
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:47:24 -0500
Once again I come to The List seeking the answer to a great question.  I was
driving the Spit today (referred to affectionately by my wife as "the
skateboard.")  Everything was performing as I thought it should until I
glanced at the gas gauge.  It had been reading about 1/4, but suddenly went
beyond full, and completely off the edge of the gauge.  It stayed there for
a minute or so, then dropped back to 1/4.  It stayed there for a bit, then
pegged again, and finally settled at 1/4.  This all happened at a stop
light.  Once the light changed, the car ran fine for a couple blocks before
it hiccuped twice.  The hiccups were about 2 seconds long each and were
separated buy about 10 seconds.  Each time there was a complete loss of
engine power.  Each time I instinctively hit the throttle.  Whether this
"cured" the hiccup is unknown.  I know that at 1/4 on the gauge I still have
a couple gallons in the tank.  All of this happened on level ground,
although there was a hard right turn about 15 seconds before the first hic.
I realize there are probably 2 problems that just happened to occur close
together.  There haven't been any other Lucas gremlins in the year I've had
the car.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill Gingerich
1974 Triumph Skateboard, ahhh, Spitfire
1FM13696IU