Thanks! Got valves adjusted and carbs tuned And an offer....

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks! Got valves adjusted and carbs tuned And an offer....
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:24:10 -0400
Thanks to everyone who offered sizes and suggestions to my request for the
size of the crankshaft nut. I couldn't find a 1-13/16" wrench on short
notice, so I used the roll it in gear method - easy, as my garage has a
significant slope to the floor for drainage.

Armed with my SU video tape, brandy new SU toolkit, carb synchroniser, and
Colortune, I set out to get my royaly screwed up carbs in some semblance of
correct tune. Did the valves and the timing first. My previous attempt at
doing the valves by myself was OK, there were only three that needed to be
re-done. This job is MUCH easier with two people! Next I followed the
instructions for setting up the carbs - worked great with the right tools.
The colortune definitely takes the mystery out of setting the mixture.
Freddy is now running the best he has EVER run since I have had him. Nice
and smooth, no hesitation - what a difference. Should have done this years
ago. The only thing that would make it even easier would be to have TWO
color tunes so you could adjust the mixture on both carbs at the same time.
Maybe next year... BTW, sparkplugs get HOT when the engine is running....;-)

I did have a problem with the SU tool kit (bought from Moss) - the
aluminium rods that are supposed to go in the pistons so you can tell they
are moving simultaneously do not fit into my pistons - the rods are too
big. Seems kind of odd.... Do I have really small carbs? I am still not
sure if they are HS-2's or 4's as I haven't ever taken them off the
manifold. I think they are 2's though.

So I highly recommend the colortune. NFI, etc..

Now for the offer, if anyone wants to come out to Yarmouth, ME for a visit
some weekend, I would be more than happy to play host and lend you all
these gizmos - you supply the cider (I hate beer)!

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine (new garage is in Yarmouth)
Freddy the Spit
A gaggle of Peugeots