re: Timing Advance/Retard -- Thanks and more!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Timing Advance/Retard -- Thanks and more!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:40:03 -0700
I appreciate the education, both posted and via private e-mail.  I just
filled up on the highest octane that Texaco sells and when the adjuster was
advanced all the way, there was no pinging.  After a long drive in the
country today that included lots of twisty, windy roads, dirt roads,
bridges, cows and bulls in the roadway and even a wild turkey (!), I made it
back, turned off the car and had a second or two of dieseling.  Backed off
the advance two notches, ran it around some more, turned it off and
everything is fine.

I originally intended to take a quick test drive around the neighborhood,
but ended up dropping my daughter off at her best friend's house and giving
her dad (who also happens to be one of my best friends) a ride to check out
my new "time machine".  He took me on the backroads tour and I took some
great photographs which I'll be posting to the International Vintage
Spitfire Image Gallery shortly.

3 hours later, my wife was fuming and had been worried that I drove my
daughter over a cliff or had developed car trouble.  Oops.  My fault.  I
should've called.  But what a great ride.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Jeff's Classic '67 Spitfire Mk3 site