gauges always on

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: gauges always on
From: david <engstrom@tstonramp.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:42:48 -0700
     Anyone have any idea why my temp and gas gauges are always on even
with the ignition key removed? It is a 1979 spitfire. I looked at the
ignition switch but all the wires are soldered on so nothing wrong
there. I can't seem to figure it out from the wiring diagram in the
haynes manual I have. Also, when the vacuum retard is connected there is
a momentary "cutout" as if the ignition or gas is completely shutoff
when I give it throttle; for example, if the car is idling. Response is
immediate if I disconnect the vacuum retard. The car has x700 electronic
ignition with the stock distributor.

Thanks, David