Re: So, who wants to sell me a Spitfire OD tranny?

To: Laura.G@141.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: So, who wants to sell me a Spitfire OD tranny?
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:24:16 +0100

Laura,

Good point about more things to go wrong.  In fact, in the time I've had my car,
the overdrive has gone wrong far more times than anything else.  But it's always
been a simple electrical problem (broken wire, inhibitor switch worn, etc) which
I've always been able to fix myself, so it's not really bothered me - of course,
this will vary depending on individual ability.

Personally, I would think twice about buying a car without overdrive, especially
as a daily driver - it really is much more pleasant to be able to reduce the
rpms by 1000 or so when cruising along the motorway.  To me, having to remove
the gearbox tunnel every few months to fix a wire is a fair price to pay for
that.

Of course, Nigel is not your average Spitfire, so he may be able to take the
high RPM much better than my car!

Dean