HELP, MAYDAY!! major Problems

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP, MAYDAY!! major Problems
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:46:48 -0400
Engine is up and running but now I have major problems and need some serious
advice.

Trying to adjust the fuel mixture on the engine yesterday I suddenly hear a
metalic sound, so I shut the engine off.  Grabbed my engine stethoscope and
started it back up to try and locate the problem (after giving it a once
over).  Well the sound was like a tapping or random rattle coming from the
engine.  With the stethoscope I could hear the noise out of the exhaust
header tubes, prevalent on # 2 cylinder.  Killed the engine knowig that I
have found at least the location.

Checked the oil, its OK.  Pulled the rocker cover, and notice debris
everywhere.  What has happened is the silicone valve stem umbrella seals the
machine shop put on have disintegrated and are all over the place.  I am not
sure why, or why that is causing a metalic soud in the cylinder.  But am
fairly sure these were designed to last more than one hour worth of
operation on an engine.  Now the head was rebuilt a year ago, but has been
sealed in plastic since then, and cleaned and lubricated on installation.

What do I need to do?  do I simply clean the stuff off and remove the rest
of the valve seals?  And see if the noise goes away?  Will that silicone
cause major problems with the engine ( I am praying to the Triumph Gods that
nothing has been damaged on the bottom end)  Do you think it will damage the
cylinder/pistons?  Or do I need to pull the head?  Should I put valve seals
back onto the car (I don't trust them now, but was told I would be stupid
not replace them)

What should I expect the machine shop to do for me.  The owner is actually a
former member of our local club and owns a TR-6, so he is at least Triumph
friendly.

Help PLEASE!  This car has to be drivable by Monday (Hah)

Patrick Bowen